Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Weight of Life

So, how much does human life weigh? I am not asking for your weight or size, but the serious question…how much does life weigh? Is it even measurable? or for the fact of reality, physical enough for us to place it on a scale? We are amongst a world of logic. There is always an inquiry as to what a substance is, what it is composed of, how many carbon atoms it encompasses, how many elements it has, and so on and so forth. Scientists, as well as ourselves, are incessantly attempting to break down reality into comprehensible matters. Like I said, we are a world sucked into logic, but don’t worry, the world has always been this way. Life in so much more interesting and intrensic when we feel within our gut that there is meaning to life. On the contrary, when we feel amiss, then there seems to be a different judgement within the gut…this feeling is one of fear and panic. The face of this belief is that the guise of the world is the only reality to people. Appearance is reality, therefore this is the answer and dread of their daily routine.
It’s hard for me to understand this idea of the world. I can’t look at the existence before my eyes and say to myself, “Well, here it all is and there’s nothing more!” When in fact, knowing deep within my soul, there is so much more, at it’s core, there are unfathomable meanings we may never understand, and in other cases, the reality that is understood is so beautiful that the soul smiles. When I look upon the reality before me I think, “God, you’re one amazing Being that put us on earth for us to play, to worship You, to smile, to laugh, to cry, to see the good in all people, and not to measure the beauty before us, but to admire each creation that is perfectly positioned on this Green Rock.” This is how I feel about the world that flows around me.
A few days ago, we had the first taste of spring here in Middle Tennessee. That night, knowing that it was calling for showers, I wrapped my Columbia jacket around my body and decided to take Eli for a walk. The time was around 11:30 and the moon was masked every few minutes by the quickly passing clouds. The air was warm, perfect for a spring rain to fall, and we began walking around the property of my apartment complex. Eli, as usual, was pulliing me around so that he could pee on every pole and tree we passed. Five minutes into the walk, it began to rain, not a hard rain or drizzle, but a gentle shower like the weatherman predicted (which is unusual because they tend to get everything a little wrong!). But the rain didn’t hurry my trip. I was soaking in the moment. I lifted my head high as the raindrops fell into my eyes and on my face and body. I was experincing one of those moments that are extraordinary, as if you know God is right beside you, whispering in your ear, “I’m here with you.” I had little bodies of energy run up and down my back and legs. These are some of the significant instances that beautify this present life. I didn’t care about getting wet or catching a sickness, but my soul was sharing time with God; I whispering my imperfections, telling Him what’s going on in my life, and He responding with a soft and educated voice, “It’s ok my child, I still love you.”
Don’t think I’m some lunatic that escaped from the loony bin, but I know God was there in that walk with me. This was as if He took a break within His hectic day to spend time with His creation, a one on one experience with me. These occurrences are magnified by the soul and I believe we truly understand in these experiences that God takes care of us, that He is always willing to talk to us if we’re eager to listen. But more importantly, this is valued forever, until our last minutes on earth.
Can you remember or take from your mind an experience like this? I’m sure you can because I believe everyone is involved with moments such as these. Think for a second about the memory and close your eyes in order to truly capture the moment. It’s amazing huh? It’s hard, or should I say impossible, to erase from our minds these connections with God. This is a value of life. To live from the soul is a value of life, to include God within your life is a value, to drink in the moments He endows to you is a value of life, and I could go on and on. As Erwin McManus beautifully states, “At your core you are a spiritual being of infinite value. To be human is a gift. You are created by God, and you have immeasurable value to him.”
When was the last time you measured the value of your life? It’s important to believe that you’re not worth a million dollars, but the fact that you’re priceless.

No comments: